HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING
We must be aware of the history of digital marketing before diving into digital marketing.
Nowadays digital marketing is shining like a crystal with growing opportunities and no one want to miss these opportunities as they believe it will provide a boost to their business.
So, now there are more than 170 million people who are using social media daily and the digital marketers are trying to get the attention of these people for various reasons like brand awareness, engagement, etc.
The WEB 1.0
The digital era began with the internet and the web 1.0 platform in the early 1990s.
These were a simple static website.
No interaction was possible, so you could only get the desired information but no sharing was possible.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #1
- Then in the year 1993 first banner ad ever which was a rectangle purchased by AT&T on HOTWIRED.COM.
- The ad space was purchased for$30,000 for the period of three months.
- Around 44 percent of the people clicked on it.
- This is marked as the beginning of the new era of digital marketing
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #2
- In the year 1995 Yahoo search engine was launched and people started using it to find information on the web.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #3
- Next major step was in the year 1996 when in the banner ad industry was the launch of Double click.
- Double click was an online ad service providing agency.
- Double click also launched DART(dynamic advertising and reporting technique) which was useful for advertisers to track the number of clicks and optimize their ads.
- It was the first ever reporting platform for banner ads to track banner ads were launched.
- The price they charge for advertising on their network was based on cost per thousand impressions(CPM).
- This how the CPM (cost per mile) model came into existence.
- Doubleclick was also generating revenue from the email marketing services they provided.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #4
- In the year 1996 small searches were also launched like HotBot, Alexa, and Looksmart.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #5
- In the year 1997, the first ever social site was launched called sixdegrees.com that lasted from 1997 to 2000.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #6
- 1997: popup ads took over the internet.
- It is a type of online advertising.
- It used to appear or pop up suddenly on the user screen like a small window.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #7
- In the year 1998 google, the search engine was born. Over the years it has become worldwide popular and it started penalizing those sites which were doing keyword stuffing and irrelevant backlinks.
- It has given many updates over the years like google panda update, Google Penguin update, Google Hummingbird update, google mobile-friendly update, google EMD (exact match domain) update, etc.
- And presently it has 5 billion searches per day!!!
- Presently Google also has an upper hand in the mobile search market share with 53 percent.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #8
(i)In the year 1998, Microsoft launched MSN.
- MSN was a web portal.
- It was a messenger service provided by Microsoft.
- It provides applications for windows and mobile devices.
(ii)Yahoo web search was launched.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #9
(i)In the year 2000, Google launched Google AdWords with 350 advertisers.
- Adwords is an online advertising platform created by Google.
- Nowadays google AdWords is a major tool for digital marketers to improve businesses.
- Google earns 95 percent of its revenue from advertising.
- Display campaign of google reaches 80 percent of global internet users.
- The average click-through rate is 7.94 percent for an ad in the first position.
(ii)In the year 2000 small search engine were wiped out.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #10
- In the year 2001 the first ever mobile campaign was launched of universal studios.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #11
- In the year 2002 LinkedIn was launched.
- It has more than 590 million users.
- The monthly active users are around 260 million.
- It has 61 million senior levels influencers.
- It has 56 percent male and 44 percent female users.
- An average user of LinkedIn spends only 17 minutes in a month on it.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #12
(i)In the year 2003 WordPress was launched and also myspace was launched.
- It is open-source software.
- It is free.
- WordPress has 27 percent of all websites.
- It is dominating the CMS market with 76 percent of the market share.
- It has more than 50,000 free plugins.
(ii)Google adsense was launched in 2003.
- It is a service provided by Google where a different type of advertisements is shown on the platform of its publishers.
- Presently google adsense only 32 percent of the revenue and give 68 percent to its publishers.
- Presently its earning is more than 15 billion.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #13
(i)In the year 2004 Gmail was launched and Google went public.
- more than 1.5 billion users
(ii)In the year 2004 Facebook went live.
- And today Facebook has 270 million fake profiles.
- The average time spent on Facebook by a user is 57 minutes.
- Daily active users of Facebook is around 1.1 billion.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #14
- In the year 2005 youtube was launched and fulfilled the gap between creating and sharing.
- And today in 2019 it has more than a billion users almost one-third population of the internet.
- And the total number of monthly active users is around 1.9 billion.
- And today 5 billion videos are watched every day.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #15
- In the year 2006 twitter was launched.
- The total number of active monthly users on Twitter is 326 million.
- In the year 2006 split-testing was in marketing.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #16
(i)In the year 2007, launch social media advertising on Facebook business pages.
(ii)In the year 2007 Tumblr was launched.
- It is a social networking and a micro-blogging site.
- You can share photos, videos, links, audio, etc.
- And in today time total users of Tumblr is more than 600 million.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #17
(i)In the year 2008 Spotify was launched.
- It is a live music streaming service that allows the user to access millions of songs, podcasts, etc.
(ii)In the year google launches instant for real-time search engine results.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #18
(i)In the year 2010 WhatsApp was launched. And today in 2019 it has 900 million users.
(ii)In the year 2010 google buzz was launched.
- It was social networking, microblogging, and messaging tool.
- You could share photos, videos, links, status, and comments.
(iii)In the year 2010 Instagram was launched.
- It is owned by Facebook.
- The total number of active monthly users is around 1 billion.
- The total number of photos shared till date on Instagram is 50 million.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #19
(i)In the year 2011 google+ was launched.
- There are more than 2.2 billion profiles.
- 74 percent of users are male.
- Average users spend 12 minutes on google plus.
(ii)google panda update came into existence.
(iii)And in this year google buzz was shut down.
(iv)In the same year, Snapchat was introduced and today:
- It has more than 188 million active users every day.
- It has 300 million-plus monthly active users.
- The number of snaps (photos and videos) created every-day is 3 billion.
- Average time spent by a user is 30 minutes.
- 70 percent of Snapchat users are female.
- 45 percent of users are aged between 18 to 24
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #20
- In the year 2012 social media has risen up to 64 percent.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #21
- In the year 2013 yahoo acquired Tumblr.
- yahoo spent 1 billion to acquire Tumblr.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #22
- In the year 2014 facebook acquired WhatsApp.
- Whatsapp was sold at 16 billion dollars.
- 4 billion in cash and 12 billion in Facebook shares.
HISTORY OF DIGITAL MARKETING #23
(i)In the year 2017 AMPs (accelerated mobile pages) are the trend in digital marketing.
- Accelerated mobile pages is a lightweight page which enhances the experience of mobile users.
- AMP is good for a low bounce rate.
- It speeds up the load time.
(ii)In the year 2017 and 2018 facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, and Reddit are most commonly used social media networks.
You can share information, pictures, videos, links, chat with your friends or even tag them.